We are a dynamic community-based health centre promoting social justice and health equity in the Regent Park neighbourhood and east downtown area of Toronto. We operate out of several locations and provide a wide variety of services including: primary health care, chiropody, physiotherapy, nutrition services and supports, social work, community health, immigrant and refugee services, housing assistance, harm reduction and homeless programs, Pathways to Education for high school students, infant and child development programs, parenting education and family advocacy.
The Primary Care Physician’s purpose is to improve the health of members of the Regent Park Community and to assist in fulfilling the Centre’s mission statement. As a member of a multi-disciplinary team, the Primary Care Physician serves a low income, diversified, multi-cultural, inner city community using a wide variety of methods including direct patient care, advocacy, health promotion and community development.
This is a Part-Time Contract position, until July 31st, 2023 . Staff also have the opportunity to participate in HOOPP (Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan).
Provides family oriented medical care in a multi-disciplinary team, on or off site by:
- Interviewing/ history taking.
- Examining, assessing and treating patients.
- Maintaining accurate records.
- Providing supportive counselling and psychotherapy and crisis intervention.
- Teaching on health and lifestyle matters in a non-judgmental manner.
- Referring to specialists, hospitals or other agencies as required.
- Advocating for patients with other medical workers, agencies or institutions.
- Supervising other medical personnel within the team.
- Providing after-hours medical care for RPCHC clients in rotation with other MDs.
- Ensuring standards of patient care are maintained according to accepted medical standards and RPCHC policy.
Maintains an active role in outreach and community development activities as reflected in RPCHC mission statement by:
- Participating in other RPCHC programs and projects as appropriate.
- Participating in other community projects or agency activities as a medical representative of RPCHC.
- Advocating on health and related matters on a larger front for the community as appropriate.
- Recognizes and implements the educational component of Primary Health Care by supervising and evaluating Health Science students with other members of the Clinical Team.
Assists with the administrative tasks of RPCHC and the Primary Care Team by:
- Participating in data collection and analysis and on-going monitoring and evaluation of RPCHC programs for various purposes (e.g. program planning, research, etc.) .
- Participating in planning and evaluation of RPCHC programs and activities.
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Medical license and current registration with the College of Physicians and Surgeons.
- Knowledge of the Health care system, social determinants of health and community resources.
- Understanding of the patient as an individual and as a member of the community.
- Demonstrated commitment to client-centered, community-based care.
- Experience working in community primary care settings.
- Experience in, or a strong desire to build a practice in, working with people who use substances.
- Experience using electronic medical records (Nightingale or PS Suites an asset.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated organizational and time management skills.
- Demonstrated experience in program planning, research and evaluation.
- Ability to work collaboratively within and across teams.
- Understanding of Anti-oppression principles.
- Ability to work effectively with people of various cultural, age and economic backgrounds.
- Knowledge of the Regent Park community and a second language are assets.
- Must be fully vaccinated for the protection of clients and staff.
To protect the health and well-being of our clients and employees, Regent Park Community Health Centre has adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy that requires all staff, including new employees to have the most up to date vaccine, by a Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccine. Individuals with valid medical or human rights-based exemptions, will be considered for appropriate accommodation within the policy.
Apply For This Position
Please submit your resume and cover letter by
No phone calls, please. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. RPCHC is committed to developing an inclusive, selection process and work environment. If contacted, please advise the hiring manager if you require any accommodation during the interview process.