We are a dynamic community-based health centre promoting social justice and health equity in the Regent Park neighbourhood and Downtown East area of Toronto. We operate out of several locations and provide a wide variety of services including: primary health care, chiropody, physiotherapy, health promotion, social work, community health, immigrant and refugee services, harm reduction and homeless programs, Pathways to Education, infant and child development programs, parenting programs, youth outreach and employment services.
The Cleaner is responsible for all basic cleaning in and around the facility including a schedule of tasks on rotation. The Cleaner ensures restrooms are cleaned, sanitized, and restocked throughout their shift. Additional duties include receiving and storage of deliveries, and closing of the building. This role requires a reasonable level of physical fitness and strength in order to perform manual tasks.
The Cleaner is required to work in ways that are respectful and inclusive of all services users, staff and volunteers and that promotes the mission and values of RPCHC.
Hours of work for the position are Monday to Friday during afternoon and evening hours. The requirement is to work outside of regular hours from time to time, in locations identified by the Centre.
This is a Full-time Permanent Position, 35 hours per week
Hourly Range: $20.00 to $24.08, plus Benefits including HOOPP Pension
This is a bargaining unit position within OPSEU Local 5115.
- Carry out routine cleaning tasks at the scheduled time, in a specified area and in accordance with all relevant policies and procedures
- Maintain high standards of cleanliness throughout the area of responsibility
- Empty and dispose of domestic and clinical waste in accordance with infection prevention and control & waste disposal policies
- Putting garbage out for collection
- Washing and sanitizing toilets, sinks and floors in all washrooms in accordance with schedule
- Replenish consumables (i.e. paper towels, toilet rolls, soap, etc.)
- Responding to spot cleaning due to spills or messes as required
- Removing marks on the walls/ any surfaces
- Secure facilities after operating hours by locking doors, closing windows, ensuring the building is cleared and setting up the alarm
- Undertake occasional custodial and janitorial tasks (shoveling snow from the sidewalk, lifting heavy items, moving chairs etc.)
- Prepare and receive delivery of material and supplies
- Store the materials and supplies received in an organized way.
- Assist with other maintenance tasks as required
- Attend and contribute to organizational events and meetings as required;
- Participate in and contribute to the effective functioning of team and committee meetings
- Participate in relevant professional development, as assigned, to enhance skills.
- Continue to improve professional knowledge and remain up to date concerning current trends in areas of specialization.
- Observe and ensure compliance with RPCHC policy and procedures
- Maintain confidentiality at all times
- Work to promote health equity and social justice within the scope of the role.
- Be knowledgeable about and comply with the Occupational Health and Safety Act (OHSA), Personal Health Information Protection Act (PHIPA), Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), the Ontario Human Rights Code and other relevant legislation.
- Keep supervisor informed and up to date on relevant issues.
- Perform other related duties as required and assigned by the supervisor and / or Director.
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- At least 1 year of experience as cleaner, janitor or similar role,
- Knowledge of WHMIS and safe disposal of chemical liquids and other hazardous components
- Good physical condition and strength
- Demonstrated organizational skills
- High school diploma is preferred but not required
- Practical knowledge of power tools (cordless drill) and handiwork would be an asset
- Ability or willingness to learn basic maintenance tasks.
- Ability to work effectively with people of various cultural, age and economic backgrounds
- Knowledge of the Regent Park area
- Must have up to date vaccination for the safety of clients and staff
- Must be available for evening work
Regent Park CHC is committed to equity in our hiring and employment practices. Applications are encouraged from qualified individuals who are Indigenous people, members of racialized communities, individuals of diverse sexual orientation and gender identification, persons with disabilities and others protected under the Human Rights Code as well as individuals with lived experience in the Regent Park community.
To protect the health and well-being of our clients and employees, Regent Park Community Health Centre has adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy that requires that new employees have an up to date, Health Canada approved, COVID-19 vaccine. Individuals with valid medical or human rights-based exemptions, will be considered for appropriate accommodation within the policy.
Apply For This Position
Please submit your resume and cover letter by
May 18, 2023
No phone calls, please. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. RPCHC is committed to developing an inclusive, selection process and work environment. If contacted, please advise the hiring manager if you require any accommodation during the interview process.