We are a dynamic community-based health centre promoting social justice and health equity in the Regent Park neighbourhood and Downtown East area of Toronto. We operate out of several locations and provide a wide variety of services including: primary health care, chiropody, physiotherapy, health promotion, social work, community health, immigrant and refugee services, harm reduction and homeless programs, Pathways to Education, infant and child development programs, parenting programs, youth outreach and employment services.
The Dental Assistant is a member of the Regent Park Community Health Centre Dental Program team which provides services under the Ontario Senior Dental Care Program in accordance with the RPCHC’s mission and mandate. The Dental Assistant serves seniors from a low income, diversified, and multi-cultural.
Part-time Contract Position, 14 hours per week until December 31st, 2024
(Tuesdays including evening until 7:00 pm and Fridays)
This is a bargaining unit position within OPSEU local 5115
Provides support to the dentist(s) by:
- Providing chair-side assistance for all procedures as required by the dentist(s);
- Carrying out all routine maintenance and/or arranging maintenance of equipment as required;
- Ensuring appropriate cleanliness of equipment and operatory by sterilization, disposal of medical waste, maintaining surrounding area and clean (operatory) as necessary;
- Ordering dental and office supplies; and
- Educating patients on oral hygiene.
Manages information related to the patients by:
- Gathering patient information and setting up charts, instructing patients in filling out forms and updating as necessary to ensure accurate and confidential record keeping;
- Informing patients of fees and/or dental supplement programs and assisting them to access these services;
- Booking patients appropriately within the schedule;
- Providing coverage for Dental reception when necessary; and
- Working co-operatively with other programs to ensure translation, consultation and referrals for patients.
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Dental Assistant Certification with minimum of six months practical experience
- Certification under Healing Arts Radiation Protection ( HARP ) Act
- Experience working in Reception (telephone and personal)
- Experience in dental equipment maintenance (routine)
- Computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Organizational and time management skills
- Strong oral and written communication and English language skills
- Ability to work collaboratively within and across teams
- Understanding of Anti-oppression principles
- Able to work effectively with a diverse client population including people with various cultural, and economic backgrounds, mental health and/or addictions issues
- Knowledge of the Regent Park area and issues affecting the community
- Must have up to date COVID vaccine for the protection of clients and staff
Regent Park CHC is committed to equity in our hiring and employment practices. Applications are encouraged from qualified individuals who are Indigenous people, members of racialized communities, individuals of diverse sexual orientation and gender identification, persons with disabilities and others protected under the Human Rights Code as well as individuals with lived experience in the Regent Park community.
To protect the health and well-being of our clients and employees, Regent Park Community Health Centre has adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy that requires that new employees have an up to date, Health Canada approved, COVID-19 vaccine. Individuals with valid medical or human rights-based exemptions, will be considered for appropriate accommodation within the policy.
Apply For This Position
Please submit your resume and cover letter by
February 28, 2024
No phone calls, please. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. RPCHC is committed to developing an inclusive, selection process and work environment. If contacted, please advise the hiring manager if you require any accommodation during the interview process.