We are a dynamic community-based health centre promoting social justice and health equity in the Regent Park neighbourhood and Downtown East area of Toronto. We operate out of several locations and provide a wide variety of services including: primary health care, chiropody, physiotherapy, health promotion, social work, community health, immigrant and refugee services, harm reduction and homeless programs, Pathways to Education, infant and child development programs, parenting programs, youth outreach and employment services.
The Dental Hygienist is a member of the Regent Park Community Health Centre Dental Program team which provides services under the Ontario Senior Dental Care Program in accordance with the RPCHC’s mission and mandate. The Dental Hygienist is responsible for providing dental hygiene treatment and promoting oral health education to seniors from a low income, diversified and multi-cultural.
Part-time Contract Position, 14 hours per week until December 31st, 2024
(Tuesdays including evening until 7:00 pm and Fridays)
This is a bargaining unit position within OPSEU local 5115
- Chart the condition of teeth and the overall oral health of the patient
- Provides clinical dental preventive services, i.e. topical fluoride application, sealant placement, scaling, polishing and individual oral hygiene instructions
- Take and develop dental x-rays
- Complete patient intake examinations
- Responsible for following infection control protocols and procedures as per IPAC
- Promotes oral health education within the community, including the ability to present educational programs to the public
- Refers clients as necessary to specialist at low cost dental facilities
- Educate patients on proper oral hygiene techniques and provide oral health instructions
- Maintain accurate records of patient, treatments and progress in dental software
- Sterilize and clean dental tools and medical areas as per infection control protocols
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Graduate of a recognized Dental Hygiene program and registered with College of Dental Hygienist of Ontario (CDHO).
- At least 2-3 years’ experience working as a Dental Hygienist in a dental office
- Strong attention to detail and manual dexterity for precise work
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively
- Awareness of and sensitivity to the health issues of a diverse community and experience working with seniors and vulnerable populations
- Ability to exercise sound judgement when problem-solving and making decisions
- Professionalism and strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Ability to manage high volume of work and respond quickly and accurately
- Demonstrates understanding and complies with patient and staff safety policies and procedures that foster a safe and inclusive environment for all.
- Understanding of Anti-oppression principles and ability to work effectively with people of various cultural, age and economic backgrounds
- Interest and appreciation for the Regent Park area and issues affecting the community
- Must have up to date COVID vaccine for the protection of clients and staff
Regent Park CHC is committed to equity in our hiring and employment practices. Applications are encouraged from qualified individuals who are Indigenous people, members of racialized communities, individuals of diverse sexual orientation and gender identification, persons with disabilities and others protected under the Human Rights Code as well as individuals with lived experience in the Regent Park community.
To protect the health and well-being of our clients and employees, Regent Park Community Health Centre has adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy that requires that new employees have an up to date, Health Canada approved, COVID-19 vaccine. Individuals with valid medical or human rights-based exemptions, will be considered for appropriate accommodation within the policy.
Apply For This Position
Please submit your resume and cover letter by
February 28, 2024
No phone calls, please. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. RPCHC is committed to developing an inclusive, selection process and work environment. If contacted, please advise the hiring manager if you require any accommodation during the interview process.