We are a dynamic community-based health centre promoting social justice and health equity in the Regent Park neighbourhood and Downtown East area of Toronto. We operate out of several locations and provide a wide variety of services including: primary health care, chiropody, physiotherapy, health promotion, social work, community health, immigrant and refugee services, harm reduction and homeless programs, Pathways to Education, infant and child development programs, parenting programs, youth outreach and employment services.
The Dentist is a member of the Regent Park Community Health Centre Dental Program team which provides services under the Ontario Senior Dental Care Program in accordance with the RPCHC’s mission and mandate. The Dentist is responsible for providing basic dental services and overseeing work of the dental clinic team.
Part-time Contract Position, 14 hours per week until December 31st, 2024
(Tuesdays including evening until 7:00 pm and Fridays)
- Performs complete oral examinations, formulates comprehensive treatment plans, informs clients and families of treatment plans, and obtains consent for treatment
- Performs a broad range of dental treatments, including prescribing antibiotics and administering local anesthesia within scope of practice.
- Obtains complete medical history in Electronic Medical Record system and verifies and applies medical history prior to treatment by consulting with family members and physicians when necessary. Refers clients for medical testing if warranted
- Ensuring that standards of patient care are maintained according to the Standards of Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario
- Operates dental x-ray machine and interprets x-rays; acts as the clinic’s Radiation Protection Officer
- Monitors and performs universal precaution procedures for infection control in the dental office as per IPAC
- Provides input into the development of program practices and procedures.
- Provides all types of denture services and works with denturist to ensure patient care.
- Ensures that the clinic is properly equipped and maintained, and meets safety requirements for staff and patients
- Oversees work of dental hygienist, denturist and dental assistants.
- Undertakes supervision and evaluation of students in various dental profession as needed.
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Graduate degree in Dentistry from a recognized university and a member in good standing of the Royal College of Dental Surgeons of Ontario.
- At least 2-3 years’ experience working as a Dentist in a dental office.
- Membership with the ODA and willingness to register for IFH and NIHB.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with the rest of the dental team and with clients.
- Ability to provide excellent customer services.
- Familiarity with government legislation in the area of Occupational Health and Safety.
- Awareness of and sensitivity to the health issues of a diverse community and experience working with seniors and vulnerable populations.
- Ability to exercise sound judgement when problem-solving and making decisions
- Polished, professional interpersonal skills with an ability to work effectively in a team environment and with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently and manage priorities and collaboratively within and across teams
- Ability to manage high volume of work and respond quickly and accurately
- Demonstrates understanding and complies with patient and staff safety policies and procedures that foster a safe and inclusive environment for all.
- Highly flexible with a positive, can-do attitude
- Understanding of Anti-oppression principles and ability to work effectively with people of various cultural, age and economic backgrounds
- Interest and appreciation for the Regent Park area and issues affecting the community
- A passionate and genuine commitment to fostering an inclusive and equitable workplace culture at RPCHC
- Must have up to date COVID vaccine for the protection of clients and staff
Regent Park CHC is committed to equity in our hiring and employment practices. Applications are encouraged from qualified individuals who are Indigenous people, members of racialized communities, individuals of diverse sexual orientation and gender identification, persons with disabilities and others protected under the Human Rights Code as well as individuals with lived experience in the Regent Park community.
To protect the health and well-being of our clients and employees, Regent Park Community Health Centre has adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy that requires that new employees have an up to date, Health Canada approved, COVID-19 vaccine. Individuals with valid medical or human rights-based exemptions, will be considered for appropriate accommodation within the policy.
Apply For This Position
Please submit your resume and cover letter by
February 28, 2024
No phone calls, please. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. RPCHC is committed to developing an inclusive, selection process and work environment. If contacted, please advise the hiring manager if you require any accommodation during the interview process.