Receptionist & Medical Secretary
We are a dynamic community-based health centre promoting social justice and health equity in the Regent Park neighbourhood and east downtown area of Toronto. We operate out of several locations and provide a wide variety of services including: primary health care, chiropody, physiotherapy, health promotion, social work, community health, immigrant and refugee services, housing assistance, harm reduction and homeless programs, Pathways to Education for high school students, infant and child development programs, parenting education and family advocacy.
The role of the Receptionist / Medical Secretary is to ensure efficient operations, facilitate smooth flow of the reception area and provide friendly and professional patient intake. The Receptionist/Secretary provides reception, clerical and administrative support functions and maintains appointment, chart and document management systems.
This is a Full-time Contract position until November 30, 2023. Staff will also have the opportunity to participate in HOOPP (Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan), and receive additional benefits.
This is also a bargaining unit position with OPSEU Local 5115.
- Greet clients and provide support as needed
- Schedule client appointments, and provide reminders of upcoming appointments as required
- Inform staff/providers of client/patient arrival
- Manage, prepare, maintain, update, and scan documents for electronic health records (EHR)
- Manage an eight-line telephone system: answer incoming calls, direct to appropriate personnel and process messages, manage phone messages from answering service
- Sort and distribute all incoming and outgoing mail and parcels
- Copy and fax documents
- Distribute / track harm reduction supplies as needed
- Compile information on clients/patients to create charts and update personal information in charts, change status of chart as needed, and ensure confidentiality
- Process incoming documents, and ensure security of charts and documents during non-office hours
- Reconcile bills from lab facilities
- Process forms from clients
- Manage prescriptions, client samples, and deliveries that have been dropped off
- Keep a record of laboratory fridge data for Public Health
- Responsible for opening of building and transfer of phone lines from the answering service
- Give information about resources/programs at RPCHC, as well as giving information about external agencies, as needed
- Ensure charts are returned to the Central Files System within a reasonable time period
- Operate and maintain document management and distribution systems
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Completion of relevant certificate or diploma
- Two to five year’s office experience; preferably in a health setting
- Experience with switchboard/multi-line telephone system
- Proficiency in typing and in the use of computers and various software applications
- Knowledge of Reception techniques (telephone and personal) and Filing systems (medical)
- Medical Terminology and forms
- Proficient with computer software including MS Office, Internet, email, Electronic Health Records (Telus PS Suites an asset)
- Ability to work collaboratively within and across teams
- Understanding of Anti-oppression principles
- Ability to work effectively with people of various cultural, age and economic backgrounds
- Knowledge of the Regent Park area and issues affecting the community
- Must have up to date COVID-19 vaccination for the protection of clients and staff
To protect the health and well-being of our clients and employees, Regent Park Community Health Centre has adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy that requires new employees to have an up to date Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccine. Individuals with valid medical or human rights-based exemptions, will be considered for appropriate accommodation within the policy.
Apply For This Position
Please submit your resume and cover letter by
December 4, 2022
No phone calls, please. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. RPCHC is committed to developing an inclusive, selection process and work environment. If contacted, please advise the hiring manager if you require any accommodation during the interview process.