Relief Dental Assistant
We are a dynamic community-based health centre promoting social justice and health equity in the Regent Park neighbourhood and east downtown area of Toronto. We operate out of several locations and provide a wide variety of services including: primary health care, chiropody, physiotherapy, health promotion, social work, community health, immigrant and refugee services, housing assistance, harm reduction and homeless programs, Pathways to Education for high school students, infant and child development programs, parenting education and family advocacy.
The Relief Dental Assistant is a member of the Regent Park Community Health Centre Dental Program team which provides subsidized dental health care services accessible to all Regent Park and catchment area residents, in accordance with the RPCHC’s mission and mandate. The Relief Dental Assistant works to ensure the efficient operation of the Dental Program in a friendly and professional atmosphere. The Relief Dental Assistant is required to work in ways that are respectful and inclusive of all services users, staff and volunteers and that promotes the mission and values of RPCHC.
There are no regular or guaranteed hours of relief work. Hours of work will be on an as required basis according to the needs of Regent Park CHC, and as accepted by the Relief Dental Assistant.
This is a relief position. Hours of work are on an as required basis according to program needs. There are no regular or guaranteed hours of relief work. Staff will also have the opportunity to participate in HOOPP (Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan).
Provides support to the dentist(s) by:
- Providing chair-side assistance for all procedures as required by the dentist(s)
- Educating patients on oral hygiene.
- Carrying out all routine maintenance and/or arranging maintenance of equipment as required for each piece of equipment;
- Ensuring appropriate cleanliness of equipment and operatory by sterilization, disposal of medical waste, maintaining surrounding area and clean (operatory) as necessary
Manages information related to the patients by:
- Gathering patient information and setting up charts, instructing patients in filling out form and updating as necessary to ensure accurate and confidential record keeping;
- Informing patients of fees and/or dental supplement programs and assisting them to access these services;
- Booking patients appropriately within the schedule; and
- Working co-operatively with other programs to ensure translation, consultation and referrals for patients.
Qualifications and Skills Required
- Dental Assistant Certification with minimum of six months practical experience
- Certification under Healing Arts Radiation Protection ( HARP ) Act
- Experience in dental equipment maintenance (routine)
- Computer skills and knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Organizational and time management skills
- Strong oral and written communication and English language skills
- Ability to work collaboratively within and across teams
- Understanding of Anti-oppression principles
- Able to work effectively with a diverse client population including people with various cultural, and economic backgrounds, mental health and/or addictions issues
- Knowledge of the Regent Park area and issues affecting the community
- Must be fully Vaccinated for the safety of clients and staff
To protect the health and well-being of our clients and employees, Regent Park Community Health Centre has adopted a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy that requires new employees to have an up to date Health Canada approved COVID-19 vaccine. Individuals with valid medical or human rights-based exemptions, will be considered for appropriate accommodation within the policy.
Apply For This Position
Please submit your resume and cover letter by
No phone calls, please. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. RPCHC is committed to developing an inclusive, selection process and work environment. If contacted, please advise the hiring manager if you require any accommodation during the interview process.